AlphaReal completes the acquisition of the largest ground-mount solar site in its £1billion renewables portfolio

AlphaReal, the specialist real assets investment manager, has completed the acquisition of a 40.36MW newly commissioned solar site. AlphaReal has acquired Bubney Energy Centre Limited in Shropshire from a global renewables developer.

The site is situated over 150 acres and is currently the largest ground-mount solar site in AlphaReal’s renewable energy portfolio.

The acquisition necessitated consultation regarding the site’s Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC), Operations and Maintenance (O&M) and Asset Management (AM) contracts, utilising AlphaReal’s expertise in both brownfield and greenfield transactions.

A new survey(1) of UK pension funds and insurers that collectively oversee £359 billion in assets, commissioned by AlphaReal, reveals 90% plan to increase their allocation to renewable energy in the next 12 months, while the remaining 10% say they might make increases.

More than half (54%) of UK pension funds and insurers surveyed say they invest in ground-mount solar energy. Around 56% say they will increase allocations substantially in the next five years while 15% will increase slightly, and 14% will keep allocations the same.

Raza Ali, Investment Director, Renewable Infrastructure at AlphaReal said: “We are pleased to have made this acquisition. It was an interesting deal to negotiate because the site combined aspects of both greenfield and brownfield, but we have sizable experience in both areas for over a decade. The site is a strong addition to our £1billion portfolio of renewable energy assets.”

Phillip Rose, CEO of AlphaReal added: “Pension funds, insurers and other institutional asset owners are looking to increase their allocation to renewables, and our research suggests solar is amongst the most attractive asset classes for them. We are therefore delighted to increase our investment in solar which is playing a key role in the UK’s green energy transition.”

AlphaReal works with a wide range of UK and European investors, including pension funds, insurers, and other large institutional investors.

(1)  AlphaReal commissioned the survey of 100 senior UK pension fund and insurer investment professionals in the UK. Collectively they manage £359 billion in AUM. Interviews were conducted online in November 2023.

More News

UK Market Monitor Q4 2023

Both Real and Nominal gilt yields decreased across all tenors. The nominal curve has dropped by almost one point percent, whereas the real curve by c.50bps.

UK pension funds and insurers to boost renewable infrastructure investment

A survey of UK pension funds and insurers that collectively oversee £359.82 billion in assets, commissioned by AlphaReal, the specialist manager of secure income real assets, found that 90% plan to increase their allocation to renewable energy in the next 12 months, while the remaining 10% say they might make increases.